• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from California!

Andrew Jordan

Hello everyone I am from northern California and have been keeping fish for about a year now but only recently have discovered this wonderful species! I want to get into keeping them but only have two tanks set up right now and I'm not sure either will be okay for them.

I currently have a 55 gallon planted aquarium with a co2 injection system, 2 fluval canister filters (306&206)
and a current stock of 11x Sterbai Corys, 5x Bosemani Rainsbows, 5x Cardinal tetras, 2x Angelfish (1 Larger and 1 smaller), 2x German Blue Rams, 2x Baby bristle nose plecos, 1x Clown pleco and a host of bamboo shrimp as well as nerite snails. The temperature stays at a constant 80 degrees Fahrenheit has a Ph of 7.4-7.6 in the tank even though my tap is closer to a 6.8.

I really want to add a pair of Apistogramma but not sure if this would be a right setup to add them too, I also have a 29 gallon with one adult female Angelfish in it, with a temp of 80 and a ph of 8. Which from what I've read is too high for pairs to breed successfully. I also have no idea what species I would like or that are acceptable, if anyone has any advice would be gratefully appreciated!!

Happyfins

Hi Andrew,
sounds to me like your tank is pretty filled up already, busy even. While you could probably keep some further dwarf cichlids alive for a while I don't think you would have much fun with them and couldn't expect much in the way of successful breeding. ?second tank

Andrew Jordan

This is what I was leaning towards, I re did the tank using a dirt substrate capped with black sand planted it added some driftwood! Thanks for the reply!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….