• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

South American Biotope (Planning)

Claire M.

Hi Morris,

I haven't take time to take pics...
I'm still waiting for my supplier to get a new shipment of Redmoor Wood, so I still don't have any hardscape besides the sand and a couple of almond leaves that can be seen in the pics I already posted.

The main reason for filling it up was to put the external filter with cycled biologic material from my other tank and black peat, so next week it can receive it's main fauna, I also put about 20 Angelfish fry from my breeding tank to build up waste and keep the bacterial build up.
I hope to lower my water hardness a bit before putting the Apistogrammas in.

I'm thinking on buying a three-stage RO Water System, but not really sure if will really need this just for keeping them... I really hope I can breed bouth Bitaeniata and Eremnopyge so in that stage it will be fundamental.
http://catalogue.tropicalmarinecentre.co.uk/Detail.aspx?sku=5851&lang=pt

I'm hopping this week my supplier will receive the Redmoor wood batch so I can choose some good pieces ;)

Regards, Claire M.

Claire M.

Hi there,

Good news here, I found some nice pieces of Redmoor Wood and as a photo is better than thousand words ...

img2413at.jpg

Still want to push it a bit to the left and keep it 2-3cm from the glass in the right side...

The values are cumming to the place I want ...
nitrite - 0,1ppm almost 0
amonia - 0ppm
nnitrate - 0-5ppm
gh - 4
kh - 4
ph - 6,8

The Apistogrammas should arrive this week or at the start of the next one, my supplier managed to get on his listing
N. Marginatus and I ordered 20 of those ...

Also a friend is going to give me some Limnobium Laevigatum so the hardscape and plants are in place, now just have to wait for the fish

Things are coming along real nice, hope you like it ...

Claire M.

morris

Looking great Claire,

You talking about plants? What plants are you putting in?

I have to agree with you on the placement of the wood, it should look more natural if it isn't dead centre

Claire M.

Thank you all,

I don't plan on having plants apart from floating ones , I'm waiting for some limnobium laevigatum to cover the surface...

Current Values:

pH - 7.2
dKH - 3
dGH - 3
Amonia - 0.6ppm
Nitrite - 0.1ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm

I received today 5g of cattapa bark and a couple more cattapa leaves, by sunday if the pH doesn't drops I will do a TPA with bottled water...

Regards, Claire M.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Wow that setup turned out fantastic! I really really like how gnarled and shaped the wood is. Very well done! Thank you for sharing

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I'm currently cycling a 64 litre aquarium with a similar setup in mind and I was curious - are you going to provide caves for example coconut shells or would a dense arrangement of redmoor offer enough cover for your apistogramma?

Claire M.

Hi David,

I don't want to put coconuts shells as I don't like the way they look , the Red Moor branches were chosen and placed carefully along with Cattapa Leaves to provide many burrows and the dim lighting provided by the Limnobium Laevigatum helps in the welfare of the fish.

In a smaller layout it will be difficult to find good wood pieces to make such an ambiance, and the coconut shells will provide them good hiding places ...

davidjp1982

Donating Member
that's what I am hoping. I am using your aquarium as inspiration and hope to achieve something similar on a smaller scale :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….