• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some kind of worms?

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi all,
A female A. Gephyra (wild) shows some strange white strips in the tale. They look like little worms but don't move (or at least verry slow/ not often) the female is feeding well, shows good colours. But i had in the past a couple A. Atahualpa that had the same. Visualy nothing wrong, good behaviour well eating apisto. But died from one day to the onther.

Is there someone familiar with this?

Below some pics.

Regards, Erik

wormeninvin2_zps2605a696.jpg

wormeninvin_zps3b4186da.jpg

Tom C

5 Year Member
Many years ago ago I brought home some wild Hyphessobrycon sp.-tetras from Peru. After some time in a tank, one of them looked like this:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

These worms look quite similar to yours.
I treated the tank once with a drug containing flubendazole (15%), and after a week the same fish looked like this:

resizeimage.aspx

I've never seen any worms again...

Wormer Plus might be an easy way to get rid of the worms...

Good luck!

Erik82

5 Year Member
Thx for your replay Tom! I couldn't find wormerplus here as easy as I wanted. For now Itried sera nematol. If that won't help a thing I might thinking about vititing the veterinarian for some flubendazole.

gerald

5 Year Member
To me the marks on Erik's fish look more like some kind of decay or infection in the fin ray tissue, rather than worms, but it's hard to tell -- maybe they are worms.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Gerald, I think they are worms. The Apistogramma is now get rid of the worms, but now the Copella nattereri got them :(
Still lokking for flubendazole (15%). Is that the same drug as Flubenol?

Tom C

5 Year Member
Because I have very soft water, I was advised to use twice the normal dose. I therefor used ca. 2ml "Flubenol 15" per 25 gallons of water.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Because I have very soft water, I was advised to use twice the normal dose. I therefor used ca. 2ml "Flubenol 15" per 25 gallons of water.
Hi Tom,
How did you measured 2ml flubenol 15%? How many gram is equel to 2 ml? Ordid you made a substance of flubenol in water?
Regards Erik

Tom C

5 Year Member
.... How many gram is equel to 2 ml?...
I'm sorry I missed this question, Erik. I hope you figured it out in the meantime?
My Flubenol 15 is a fine powder, and the instructions said that 1 ml = 1 gram. 1 flat teaspoon equals 5 ml/5 grams.
1 ml treats 25 gallons of water; in soft water use twice that (Remember this is 15% strong). The powder is mixed with some water and poured in the tank. Do not underdose; if you want to be sure, even 10 times normal dose won't hurt the fish, plants or the bacterial flora in the filter...

Erik82

5 Year Member
Thx Tom, this is were i was ookking for. I dosed the tank now two time with not enought flunobol.
My tank of 400 liter needs 4 gr flubenol 15%, i have 5% so i need about 12 gram... I hope i have that amount left. I did nog have bought that much. Thanks for your answer, this helps me a lot! Hope it will kill the damn worms now...

gerald

5 Year Member
Does anyody here know the names of those worms visible in the skin and fins? I've never seen them (fortunately).
I assume they are a type of nematode?

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi all,
the problem with worms still exists. I'm desperate at this time. I just do not know how to tackle the disease. I have added the following medications according to recipe:
- First week Nematol according Dosage
- Repeated after two weeks against the eggs of the worms

Then after two weeks, several chemotherapy with Flubenol:
- 80 ml of stock solution (3 g/100 ml) for a tank of 400 l
- A week after repeating the above, 80 ml of stock solution (3 g/100 ml) for a tank of 400 l
- Then on the advice of Tom, 12 g Flubenol 5% to 400 l a week after the second chemotheraphy

And this is what the fish look like ...

Does anyone have an idea what it is, and how these worms to come off?
Below are some pictures of the infected fish:

Thx,

Regards Erik

copelleneitereriwormen2_zps9d7b5a25.jpg

copelleneitereriwormen_zps9371d271.jpg

copelleneitereriwormen3_zps22236a70.jpg

copelleneitereriwormen4_zps22adffb6.jpg

copelleneitereriwormen5_zpsc5cc2d45.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Are there any snails in th tank? I dont know what these are, but some worms require a snail host, and if these do then removing the snails should stop them from reproducing further. Praziquantel+Metronidazole might be the next thing to try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….