• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I.D. please

tuna

5 Year Member
a wild apisto collected some where in Peru I was told.
wild-apisto-peru.jpg

Big G

5 Year Member
ITs hard to tell from this pic, but my guess (and it is a guess) would be either Trifasciata Female or Cacatuoides female?

The black blotches I would guess are a strange condition, and are what makes it difficult to identify?

I'm sure one of the more experienced guys will give a more accurate description of what it is though?

Cheers
G!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I'd like to take a stab at this as well before the experts get in here and steal all the fun.

Looks identical to A. schwarzkinn "black chin", of course, the black splotches are a new look to me.
- Black mark under bottom lip, is that a splotch, or does it extend from the chin all the way down the front of the face to the "neck"?

More pics would help me, but I'm betting that the experts will know right away.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Either cacatuoides or sp. "black chin" (but my first guess is cacatuoides as I don't see the chin spot in this picture). The black spots all over are known as Peru Black Spot. It's a disease that won't kill the fish and doesn't spread to other fish as it's just one stage in the parasite's life cycle (you need snails and birds to complete the cycle). I've had wild Peru Apistos come in with out the spots but after becoming stressed (male aggrssion toward a female) develope the spots.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Jeff (aquaticclarity) is correct in my opinion. It is a young male A. cacatuoides with black spot parsites. I've had A. cacatuoides with similar spotting, but not so extensive. I must say, it makes for an attractive looking fish (if you're into spots).

tuna

5 Year Member
Thanks for the answers. I thought it might be a OB strain never seen before. Do the parasites stay with him for the rest of his life or will they disappear with age.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….