• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German Ram Wigglers.

Kaie

I have a set of Germans that are sitting on what appears to be wigglers. The crazy part is i didnt see them last night or this morning when i went to work. Its a pit dug out in the sand in the front of the tank in the middle. So, it would have been hard to miss.

How long do the eggs last before hatch?

Ive read a few things that say that Rams aren't very good parents. They seem to be fine thus far. There is always at least one parents over the wigglers.

Unfortunately they are in a tank with 5 Angels and 5 Peacock Gudgeons. I am more concerned about the Angels than the Gudgeons though. Thinking about taking them out when the fry are free swimming.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What can we say? Yes, rams tend to be poor parents who eat their eggs/fry if disturbed (or on a whim). In a community tank, there is little hope for survival. Removing the other tank mates at this time will definitely disturb the rams. If your rams keep the fry for another couple of days, then you have a good pair that is worth setting up in a breeding tank. Personally, your best option is to siphon out some of the fry now.

Kaie

Well they are getting bigger. I can make out eyes and tails. They all seem to be there still. But who can tell when there are like 75-100.

If i did decide to siphon some out. What is the best method? Turkey baster? Then what should i do with them? Just put them in another sandy bottom tank? Or do they need special treatment?

Since i noticed them the other day i have been doing 20% water changes. It only slightly changes the pH.

The parents have also moved them twice. The male digs out a pit and the female puts them over in it. They have been in their current pit for quite some time.

So far they seem to be just as good of parents as the P. Pulchers i have are.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
From your description it appears that the fry have hatched, but not become freeswimming. Rams often eat the fry (only God knows why) once they become freeswimming. If they get past this stage, then siphon out some tank water into a small fry tank. Once you have it 1/2 full, siphon out about 50 or so fry and see if you can raise them. Let the parents try to raise the rest. If some survive a week or more then you have a GREAT pair worthy of trying to use them as breeders - the way Nature intends. Good luck!

Kaie

They are free swimming today. They seem to be taking care of them.. scooping ones up that get away.. some are getting away and i saw my angels eat them up. =[.....

Ok i got most of the angels out and into another tank. Theres two that are hiding out.

Everyone i talk to seems convinced the babies shouldnt have lasted this long.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sound like a very good pair! Now you have to feed the fry. Most can't eat newly hatched brine shrimp. They are too large. Most hobbyist ram breeders use green water or some kind of micro culture for the first few days. If you have large clumps of Java Moss, it should help keep many alive until they can eat larger foods. If you can find some APR (artificial rotifer/protozoan), it can be used as a substitute.

Kaie

I got some 'green water'. I went to a fish store looking for the rotifiers. Which i called and asked if they had. Apparently they dont even though the person on the phone said they did. The green water is for reefs and stuff. The guy claimed it would work.

I just loaded up a syringe with it and squirted it as close to the babies as possible.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Try squeezing out a filter sponge, and then pipetting the resulting "gunk" to the fry, filters are a great breeding ground for rotifers etc.

I also like Mike's "Java Moss" method, it works for a lot of small fry. Some time "Apistogramma forums" member "electriceel", described exactly what you want for Rams - "A big gnarly chunk of Java moss".

cheers Darrel

vail94

5 Year Member
Good job on your breeding, if your rams have not eaten the fry 4 or 5 days out from free swimming then you have done it right, feeding them foods small enough is key at the beginning of the free swimming stage. I would remove the parents and any thing else large enough to eat them. I have had poor results siphoning ram fry out of the tank they were hatched in, i think it is a lot of stress for that small of fry. Have fun hatching baby brine shrimp.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….