• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are they true albinos

georgedv

5 Year Member
Two years ago we had a discussion about albino Kribs. I put in my two bits for at the time I had a pair of kribs that looked albino. They were white with some faded red on them and their eyes were red also. All their off spring came white. If I remember correctly they had atleast a dozen spawns before the male died. At the time of the discussion another member suggested I keep notes about how the 2nd, 3rd ...generation did.

I bred pairs from within the same spawns and pairs from diff spawns (all from same parents). All following spawns were not 100% albino. The ratios varied so I can't say if a certain spawn was more albino dominant then the other.

The same is true for 3rd and 4th generation mixes.

One thing I noticed the regular colored Kribs regardles of the mix or generation, grew faster and were more agressive.

g

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's been a long time, maybe 10 years ago, that there was an article on albino Pv. pulcher in the Buntbarsche Bulletin. If I recall correctly, the author found that there were true albino strains (bred 100% albino through several generations) and another albino strain that produced mixed albino/normal colored offspring. I'll have to check with the ACA site an see if I can find the original article.

viejo

5 Year Member
It's been a long time, maybe 10 years ago, that there was an article on albino Pv. pulcher in the Buntbarsche Bulletin. If I recall correctly, the author found that there were true albino strains (bred 100% albino through several generations) and another albino strain that produced mixed albino/normal colored offspring. I'll have to check with the ACA site an see if I can find the original article.

I believe that the article was by Jim Langhammer. Sort of a single dose/ double dose thingy IIRC, with the single dose being hardier & more attractive.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
In P. pulcher albinism is a dominant trait. The strains that throw both albino and wild type are heterozygotes... one of each gene type. Heterozygous albinos tend to be more hardy, and are therefore the most common. Homozygous albinos, even if only one of the pair is truly homozygous, will through 100% albino.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Larry's right. It was Jim Langhammer. Ted's synopsis is right on. For those who are members of the ACA or have access to past BBs the reference is:

Langhammer, James K. 1982. Albinism in Pelvicachromis pulcher. Buntbarsche Bulletin #93 (Dec.). Wow! It was longer ago that I thought!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….