• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma payamonis

Tom C

5 Year Member
According to your web site, you have ordered "Apistograma orange / sunset / atahualpa".
I think that means that you have ordered Apistogramma atahualpa, not A. payaminonis.

DH247

5 Year Member
Do you mean A. payaminonis? It is listed on p.666 in Mergus Atlas 1. All this info is from this reference.

The only species to resemble them are nijsseni and atahualpa. They have a predominantly yellow head with a thick cheek band. They also do not show their lateral band as much as other species. They typically have blue in their caudal fin (amongst males), but some show red fringing as well. Their dorsal fins may contain varying degrees of yellow.

A pH of 6.4 and temp of 22.5C were measured where collected. The natural ecology was mostly slow-medium water movement of mostly rock and outcroppings and logs. Some fine sand in slower movement areas was present. Some mention was made that the specimens collected there were rather emaciated... suggesting less than ideal conditions. However, this species may prefer cooler water temps.

Hope this helps!!

BTW, if you are gonna bring some interesting stuff in please post it! I'm in Vancouver and have been searching for a few specific species, but welcome a new challenge!!

snaggle

5 Year Member
According to your web site, you have ordered "Apistograma orange / sunset / atahualpa".
I think that means that you have ordered Apistogramma atahualpa, not A. payaminonis.

On the suppliers list that is how they are listed.

I should be bringing in SA orders ever 2 months or so I will post the lists once I am in the swing of things.

Brad

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as I know, A. payaminonis has only been in the hobby a couple of times. Staeck collected some in Ecuador in 1996. He bred them but didn't distribute many. He lost the to some sort of infection. A little later, Kästner found some specimens in, of all things, a shipment of tetras from Manaus! I have no idea how they got in a Brazilian shipment. His, too, died of some disease before they were widely bred & distributed.

A. payaminonis comes from an area that is either dangerous (southern Colombia, controled by FARC rebel forces and cocaine manufacturers) or illegal (for commercial purposes) to collect. They might overlap into some of the northern tributaries of the Río Napo in Peru, but the area hasn't been extensively collected. Hopefully this can be done in the near future.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
As everyone says, the most probable fish you´ll get is A. atahualpa (previously known as A. sunset -commercial name-).

blueblue

5 Year Member
I will post pics of them when I get them. I ordered these ones because the colouration sounded like it would be nice. They are coming from Peru.

i guess you will get A. sp. "Zwilling" because it's the species usually exported as payamonis, be careful :)

As i remember, the real payamonis did land Asia about 5-6 years ago ONCE, some to Japan and some to Taiwan...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member

Tom,

Could this be the fish that Francisco recently collected? They certainly look like Kästner's A. cf. payaminonis.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Maybe, Mike, but "Life is like a box of apistos, you never know what you'll get"

I think Francisco knows that this is not an A. atahualpa, and I don't think he would have labelled it like that.
It could be the same fish, but from another source.

This is the fish that looks like A. cf. payaminonis. It was very recently collected in Peru, close to the Ecuador border:

924.jpg

(I have permission to use this picture)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Surprised!! yours is the real
A. payaminonis/ A. cf. payaminonis !!

Maybe, Mike, but "Life is like a box of apistos, you never know what you'll get"

I think Francisco knows that this is not an A. atahualpa, and I don't think he would have labelled it like that.
It could be the same fish, but from another source.

This is the fish that looks like A. cf. payaminonis. It was very recently collected in Peru, close to the Ecuador border:

924.jpg

(I have permission to use this picture)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….