• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. agassizii (pastel)?

lachris

I recently purchased this male Apisto. As usual it's not what it said on the tank i the shop. I bought it as A. atahualpa, which it is definately not. I think it may be young A. cf. agassizii (Pastel)... Can anyone help? (Sorry about the picture quality. The camera and the photographer of the family was out, so I was stuck with the old compact camera...)

28307_618851_1.jpg

28307_618851_2.jpg

28307_618805_1.jpg

28307_618805_2.jpg

lachris

I only have one female, and here she is

28307_618806_1.jpg

28307_618806_2.jpg

Rubbish pictures, but I'll try another photo-session now and publish some more photos in a short while!

lachris

Ah. That was what I thought as well. So - basically what I need to do is to exchange the male for an atahualpa male. I'll try. The store where I bought them is a good one and I am sure, if they actually have an atahualpa male, it will be no problem.

Thank you for the identification!

lachris

That's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway. Any hints as to what to look for when trying to spot an agassizii female among bitaeniata and atahualpa would be much appreciated...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your pastel aggie seems to have been a contaminant/bi-catch among the A. atahualpa. A. atahualpa females will show a caudal spot at the root of the tail. A. agassizii & A. bitaeniata females will not. A. bitaeniata females are hard to separate from aggie females in the typical LFS tank, but bitaenatas tend to be more slender, show a more distinct abdominal stripe below the lateral band, and a more squared off end on the caudal fin.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Look on line for photos of female A. agassizii in neutral mood - and look for something from the atahualpa tank that looks similar. Good luck, I hope you find one/some.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….