• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma borelli

tato

5 Year Member
I would like to show you two pictures of this beautiful fish, this specimen was collected near to the city of Santa Fe in Argentina in a pond, it was collected with two females in a 50 cm radio.
Pictures are not very good but still you can see how beautiful they are.
apistogrammaborelliista.jpg

apistogrammaborelliista.jpg

Regards.
Martin

RAF

5 Year Member
It's a pitty sub-tropical populations don't reach Europe very often... the ones that do are being kept outside all year long in some places in Portugal.

MonteSS

Why are you teasing me with that beautiful fish :)

I still cant seem to find any Borelli online :(

...Bill

P.W.

5 Year Member
Fantastic colours on that male! Did you find more Borellii males in that pond? If you did it would be interesting to know how big the colour variations were between the males?
It´s nice to see that strong ochra-yellow coloration, so typical for the populations in the south. You don´t see much of that on speciments collected from the pantanal, for example.

It seems that you are on the very southest borderline of Borelliis distribution area. Borellis (and commbraes) have been collected near Bella Union in Uruguay also, which in fact are on almost the same latitude as Santa Fe in Argentina. And in ponds with connection to Rio Uruguay.

I have information from one of our members on this forum that Borellis was also collected just north of Buenos Aires (But some doubt was raised if it really was a natural population).

Here´s some links to photos on the Borellii´s collected by a swedish guy, near Bella Union, Uruguay.

http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16817&stc=1&d=1222795580

http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16818&stc=1&d=1222795598

http://www.ciklid.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16816&stc=1&d=1222795564

The coloration is quite similar to the ones you collected.

But please give us more info on the ones you collected.

Coloration of males, variations?
Fellows in that pond? Tetras, other cichlid species, etc?

Best regards/

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Yes a lovely fish. One of my all time favorites as well. Never kept them as none over here anymore.

Great shots of them and another great example of how you cant improve on nature.

tato

5 Year Member
This male was collected by a friend, he just collected this male and the two females, after that he did try more times to collect other specimens but he couldn't. He also collected some commbrae. Other fishes were Rivulus punctatus, and some tetras.
Nice pictures of borellis.
If I can get more information I will post it.
Regards.

tato

5 Year Member
Here I send you more pictures of this beautiful species.

This fishes were collected in the North of Argentina in the province of Chaco,
the collection was made on November 15 at 3.00 pm, the water temperature was 21 C and the deepest part of the pond was 60 cm.

Here is a picture of the biotope
biotoporivpunctatuskca9.jpg

Male
apistogrammaborelliided.jpg

Female
apistogrammaborelliided.jpg

They already spawn :)

Regards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….