• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A new Apistogramma species: Apistogramma cinilabra

rafael

5 Year Member
Abstract
A new species of Apistogramma is described from Peru, based on a total of 35 specimens collected in a small forest lake in the wider catchment of the Rio Itaya about 80 kilometres south of Iquitos, Departamento Loreto (approximately 73°35′W /04°24′S). Apistogramma cinilabra sp. n. is separated from all other Apistogramma species by the combination of (in adult
males) strikingly red base of pectoral, red spots on chest, (in aggression and display) light ash-grey lips, exceptionally short caudal peduncle, and disproportionately deep body. Apistogramma cinilabra sp. n. is thought to be a representative of the Apistogramma eunotus complex within the Apistogramma regani lineage.

Etymology: The species epithet cinilabra is a compound adjective derived from Latin cinis, cineris (=ashes) and the derived adjective cinereus (grey) and labrum (= lip). The name refers to the fact that adult territorial males of this species regularly exhibit light ash-grey lips in aggression and during mating display, a unique distinguishing feature of this species within the genus.

http://www.vertebrate-zoology.de/vz61-1/07_Vertebrate_Zoology_61-1_Roemer.pdf (with a lot of pics) :)

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing.. Very interesting and a great read. Another to add to my collection.

I have a question to the more experienced hobbiests. Why is this species (Discovered last year) described so quickly and species such as sp 'Broadband' are still undescribed even after spending 30-40 years known to science and the hobby?

Is it simply a matter of excitement of having a brand new species to hand and having enough material at their disposal to do the description? or is there another method of deciding what is scientifically described and when?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Many species remain undescribed because nobody has been able to or is willing to go get well documented type material. Fish coming into a wholesale house cannot be used because we cannot trust the collection data, even if there is any.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is the species originally introduced as A. sp. Schwarzbrust/Black-breast. TomC has collected the species several times at the type locality. Uwe, I am told, will be describing several new species in the coming years. He is assisting a major conservation organization with biodiversity studies in South America particularly fish in Peru.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
yep

This is the species originally introduced as A. sp. Schwarzbrust/Black-breast. TomC has collected the species several times at the type locality. Uwe, I am told, will be describing several new species in the coming years. He is assisting a major conservation organization with biodiversity studies in South America particularly fish in Peru.

Yep Lots of new Sp and he is going back this year for two months

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
And you have collected them too, Mike. We were at the type locality in 2008!

True. I have a biotope photo very similar to one in the in the paper. Also, contrary to what is in the paper, A. cinilabra is not restricted to this one lake. Tom & I collected it in a stream farther to the south. Still, it appear to have a restricted distribution and should be considered vulnerable to habitat destruction in the area.

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
oh wow.

I actually bought some of this a while back from Scott they were shipped with a wrong name (Rotpunkt) sp. (male showed as much red as the one in the article and female was identical.

i will see if i can dig up photos.

Juan
Edit:

well acctually those are the same, reading a little further Edgard is the guy who supplies Scott Arney with Apistos and they came from him!

Thanks for the info

DJ_JD

5 Year Member
Juan, I'm confused. Were your fish Rotpunkt or Rotterpunkt - 2 different species altogether?

Mike Scott Label them "Rotpunkt" (they look nothing like a goodle search for rotpunkt suggest looks like)

Turns out that i read the article's couple of paragraphs and the fish on the photos are the fish i have. and they mentioned the collector/Exporter whos name is Edgar, well Edgard is the supplier for Scott and he sent this apistos to Scott. (they were Label as Rotpunkt on the glass of the tank)

Turns out to be the ones i have (which are raising wigglers are the ones being Talked about on that Article) so they are Cinilabra.

hope i clear you a bit.

Juan

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….