• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Bitaeniata "flameback"

__CAV__

Hey Guys,

I just brought a pair of these as A. bitaeniata "flameback" and was wondering if anyone could give me some further info on them

A_bitaeniata_flameback.jpg

from what i know, they are one of 3 pairs in Australia, and this pair was imported as a wild caught pair.
I've done some research but i can find little on them, so at the moment they are in a tank with soft water, a few ketapangs, and a few bits of driftwood.

thanks Guys

Cav

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The picture is a bit small, but from what I can see your male is one of the many populations from Peru. The "Flameback" moniker is just a bit of marketing and doesn't indicate any specific population (pretty fish however). Treat it like any other A. bitaeniata.

BN boy

Hey Cav, I also got a pair of these today (off vicki), I have put them in a 2ft tank with lots of leaf little and small melaluka roots, as well as a terricotta pot. Info on these seams to be fairly lacking, and I would also love to hear and tips or info anyone has on these.
Thanx

regani

5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata is a true blackwater species and only found in blackwater biotopes in the upper Amazon. water values at locations where they have been found are pH5.2-6, GH<1, KH<1, conductivity 10uS (according to Koslowski and Staeck/Linke)

BN boy

Thats interesting, as the vicki said these guys prefer a ph of around 7. (mine is sitting at 6.5-6.8). I am dosing black water conditioner as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata will happily live in neutral water values if the water isn't overly hard. Breeding requires softer water with at least a pH of 6.5, preferably below 6.2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….