• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PH question?

Cookie_apisto

My LFS told me to lower the PH and the hardness for my apisto macmasteri so they can have better color and also for them to breed if I want. Should I do that? I got a RO unit which I can softer the water slowly but I want to hear some advise from the expert like you guys first! My tank ph is 7.8 and kh 5 from my tap now.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally I think your dKH is fine for macs, which are more adaptable to water hardness than many apistos. If you can lower the pH to just below neutral it would be much better.

Cookie_apisto

Personally I think your dKH is fine for macs, which are more adaptable to water hardness than many apistos. If you can lower the pH to just below neutral it would be much better.

Can they adapt kh below 5? If I lower the ph below nrutral then kh gonna drop too

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
5° dKH is ~85 ppm TDS which isn't really that hard. You should be able to lower the pH with peat. Yes, it probably will lower the hardness somewhat, but for macs it isn't that important.

Cookie_apisto

The ph of just RO water is 6 so I going mix ro with tap and then soak the wster with almond leaves in the bucket so i can control the ph easier and tint the water a bit.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Can they adapt kh below 5? If I lower the ph below nrutral then kh gonna drop too
A lot of the water in S. America doesn't have any carbonate buffering (dKH). Not every-one will agree but I don't worry too much about pH in soft water planted tanks, it can never be stable.

cheers Darrel

Cookie_apisto

By the way I just put a large piece of spider driftwood in my tank but before that I didnt boil or cure it in a bucket with wAter so it started to growing some white stuff on it. I know thats going to happen but one of my sterbai cory is eating it so I dont know if that ssfe for them to eat.

Cookie_apisto

It's eating a fungus growing on the wood. It's sort of like people who eat fungi: mushrooms good; toadstools bad. Personally I've never had a fish die from grazing on fungus on wood - that I know was the cause anyway.

Just took the wood out for cleaning but the white started to come back again. I guess I have clean it again lster lol

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Black volcanic rocks are usually basaltic rocks. These don't normally have carbonates in them, so should be OK. Just test it by putting it in water (preferably very soft) for a week and see if it changes the pH.

gerald

5 Year Member
Also measure the conductivity - i think that will be a better indicator of ions dissolving out of the rock. pH measurement might change due to other factors that have nothing to do with the rock.

Cookie_apisto

Yes I am going to messure the ph after I dump the rock into ro water for a week but I am not sure if I can test the conductivity. I will try my best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….